glassware n : an article of tableware made of glass [syn: glasswork]
Glassware usually refers to glass items used as tableware, such as dishes, cutlery, flatware, and drinkware used to set a table for eating a meal. The term usually refers to the drinking vessels, unless the dinnerware is also made of glass. "Glassware" can also more generally refer to any object made of glass.
Glassware is also a term used in the catering industry to refer to all glasses whether made of glass or plastics such as, polystyrene and polycarbonate.
Glassware for the table
Most glass drinking vessels are either tumblers, flat-bottomed glasses with no handle, foot, or stem; footed glasses, which have a bowl above a flat base, but no stem; or stemware, which have a bowl on a stem above a flat base.
Neither a tumbler, footed, nor a stem:
- Yard (beer), a very tall, conical beer glass, with a round ball base, usually hung on the wall when empty
- Beer glassware
- Collins glass, for serving a tall mixed drink
- Highball glass, for serving mixed drinks
- Iced tea glass
- Juice glass, for serving fruit juices
- Old fashioned glass, traditionally, for serving a simple cocktail or liquor "on the rocks". Contemporary American "rocks" glasses may be much larger, and used to serve a variety of beverages over ice
- Shot glass, a small glass for measuring or serving up to three ounces of liquor. The modern shot glass has a thicker base and sides than the older whiskey glass
- Water glass
- Whiskey, a small, thin-walled glass for serving a straight shot of liquor
- Chalice (cup), an ornate stem glass, especially one for ceremonial purposes
- Cocktail glass, a stem glass with a wide, shallow bowl, for serving cocktails
- Sherbet, a stem glass for serving ice cream or sherbet
- Snifter, a liquor glass with a short stem and a wide bowl that narrows at the top, for brandy and liquor
- Water, a large stem glass for serving drinking water
- Wine glass, a stem glass for serving wine
appliances, brassware, chinaware, clayware, copperware, diaphane, dinnerware, display case, durable goods, durables, earthenware, enamelware, fixtures, flatware, glass, graniteware, hard goods, hardware, hollow ware, housefurnishings, housewares, ironmongery, ironware, kitchenware, light, metalware, ovenware, pane, shopwindow, showcase, silverware, sporting goods, stemware, stoneware, tableware, tinware, tools and machinery, transparent substance, vitrics, vitrine, watch crystal, watch glass, white goods, windowlight, windowpane, woodenware